There is a life sciences revolution occurring being driven by the tremendous demand for cell and gene therapies. This demand coupled with the desire for collaboration, the availability of capital, regulatory mind shifts, technological developments, and bottlenecks in supply chains are creating tremendous opportunities for first movers and service providers. The Discovery Labs platform supports and drives this new environment by creating space for CGT Manufacturing, Research and Discovery and the all supporting services.
Are you looking for a company driven by innovation and passion for saving lives that will inspire you and empower you to challenge yourself every day? We are building an unprecedented enterprise that brings together the necessary capabilities, infrastructure, and world class leaders who serve one vision of saving the lives of millions of people. It will be impossible for us to achieve our goal without an experienced and tenacious team from around the globe. Our mission is to accelerate the delivery and affordability of lifesaving and life-changing therapies from discovery to commercialization. We understand to attract the best and brightest we have to endow our colleagues with the freedom to lead, build, hire and motivate their staff to accomplish our mission, while maintaining responsibility for producing the very best efforts and results for the organization. We are committed to delivering our client’s and their patients’ the advanced therapies and diagnostics that can transform chronic, inherited, and devastating diseases into good health and a life free of sickness. We strongly believe that great companies are made up by great people and a purposeful culture. We will continue to bring together those people who are called to cure the incurable, solve the unsolvable, and bring health to the unhealthy. Join us as Controller at our King of Prussia, PA flagship campus.
We are seeking a proven industry expert with a well-rounded and deep understanding of accounting, finance, business operations, supply chain and manufacturing of the worlds most advanced therapeutics/biologics to become our Controller. It is a very exciting time to join our fast-growing Cell and Gene Therapy Contract Development Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), especially if you are an individual who can think BOLDLY and THRIVE in an entrepreneurial setting. With the help of our Executive team, Senior Management, experienced staff and team members we will partner with some of the most cutting-edge biotechnology companies to help develop, manufacture and commercialize the world’s next-generation therapies.
The Controller will report to the CFO and will be tasked with finance and accounting oversight of manufacturing and laboratory projects, budgets, revenue and expense, resource planning systems, business intelligence and data analytics, supply chain and logistics reporting, budget and variance analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, and become a key contributor to the S&OP process. The Controller will serve as the main point-of-contact for Senior Management and the finance team as a trusted and accurate source of fiscal information as we seek to execute efficient and profitable development and manufacturing of cell and gene therapy projects.
· Corporate accounting, financial analysis, budgeting/forecasting, consolidated financial month end reporting, payroll and performance monitoring, year-end close, and business decision support activities for The Discovery Labs and its subsidiaries.
· Ensure compliance with internal and external regulations (incl. SOX and GAAP requirements) and maintain a robust control environment. Follow and implement global finance procedures, process improvement initiatives, and sharing leading practices.
· Lead the compilation and analysis of monthly actuals, accruals-deferrals, forecasts, and budgets for accuracy & proper accounting treatments, ensuring full financial compliance with internal and external control requirements. The incumbent serves as a strategic partner to the business, bringing deep functional and industry accounting experience to help drive sustainable growth.
· Partner with business unit heads to develop annual budgets and monthly forecasts, margin targets, and other corporate deliverables as required for reporting cycles. This includes driving clear assumptions on price, volume, COGS, supplies and consumables, fixed and variable costs, and all other key financial drivers.
· Lead the compliance and audit initiative, provide hands-on support for the compliance teams to provide quality services to the Divisions to support effective decision making. Sets objectives for compliance team, ensuring alignment with corporate policies and procedures and communicate to all staff. Provide functional guidance for the compliance team.
· Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to management for decision making purposes. Develop presentations to concisely communicate financial results and performance metrics.
· Define, plan and implement the financial reporting and business analytics platforms for The Discovery Labs including but not limited to enterprise resource planning systems, business intelligence and data analytics, LIMS, QMS, supply chain and logistics reporting, budget and variance analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, and key contributor to S&OP process.
· Operational oversight to provide services at expected levels with a clear customer focus.
· Establish frequent communication with key stakeholders to ensure integration, efficiency, and effectiveness of financial compliance across all business units.
· Other duties as assigned.
Technical Skills and Abilities:
· Deep knowledge and routine practice of corporate accounting, financial policy creation and implementation, compliance, audit, GAAP, SOX, and operations in pharma, biotech and/or cell and gene therapy.
· Successful track record of driving profitability within a matrix organization and building strong partnerships with other organizations including R&D, Manufacturing and Senior Management Team.
· Ability to maintain regular financial reports with the ability to modify or create reporting process to ensure efficient operations and timely reporting
· Current with relevant financial, business, scientific and medical landscape in support of Discovery Labs strategy and profitability
· Demonstrated experience driving and fostering talent growth within finance team
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills; demonstrated leadership abilities, and the ability to work in team environments
· Experience working with ERP systems such as SAP and Microsoft environments
· Computer Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Access)
· Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless results
· Independent, self-starter, highly motivated
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or closely related field from an accredited college or university; advanced business or accounting degree and certifications highly preferred (MBA, CPA)
· 10-15+ years’ experience in finance and/or accounting related fields
· 5-10 years in the pharmaceutical, life science, biotech, and manufacturing industries
· 5-10 years of direct management experience leading accounting, finance, operations, manufacturing and/or supply chain teams
· Commercial and supply chain experience preferred
· Six Sigma or Lean training helpful, but not required
· Demonstrated experience with manufacturing cost accounting is preferred