The Center for Breakthrough Medicines is on track to be the largest single-site cell and gene therapy contract development and manufacturing organization in the world. Our comprehensive service offering accelerates speed to market through supply chain disruption mitigation strategies, end-to-end program management expertise and unique platform technology with the ability to follow a molecule from idea to commercialization. CBM’s integrated approach provides high quality and consistent end-to-end manufacturing capability including: Process and Analytical Development; Plasmid DNA production; Viral Vector Production of Lentivirus; AAV and Adenovirus; Testing and Analytics; Autologous, Allogeneic and Gene-edited Cell Therapy Bioprocessing; and Cell banking. CBM’s horizontal and vertical integration provides one source throughout a product’s life cycle.
CBM’s mission is to accelerate the delivery and affordability of lifesaving and life-changing therapies from discovery to market by offering a complete solution for the development and commercialization of cell and gene therapies.
CBM is located just outside of Philadelphia in the Heart of Cellicon Valley on The Discovery Labs campus set on 300 acres with 2.4 million square feet of life sciences lab and manufacturing space, allowing clients to scale their development and manufacturing needs without ever having to change sites, while providing employees a true community campus experience focused exclusively on life sciences.
The Discovery Labs is a Global Platform Company inclusive of CBM, The Discovery Labs Properties, UniteIQ incubator labs, and The Colony, a unique investment and resource model enabling groundbreaking therapies to be brought to life.
Are you looking for a company driven by innovation and passion for saving lives that will inspire you and empower you to challenge yourself every day?
At The Discovery Labs Center for Breakthrough Medicines, we are building an unprecedented enterprise that brings together the necessary capabilities, infrastructure, and world-class leaders to facilitate the development and manufacturing of cell and gene therapies from bench to bedside.
The Discovery Labs Center for Breakthrough Medicines is looking for a Head of Cell Therapy Process Development to lead our highly innovative team and add significant value to the organization. The Head of Cell Therapy Process Development has overall responsibility for technical product lifecycle management in the Cell Therapy asset pipeline. This includes preparing business cases, developing Life Cycle strategies for development and commercial phases, process development and improvements, and post approval commitments. The individual will be accountable for the successful execution of the corresponding plans in compliance with Agency and Industry Guidance. During the clinical/commercial manufacturing preparation phase, this role will serve as a senior leader for the delivery of key product development and tech transfer deliverables.
- Lead and oversee all process transfers to and from internal and external business partners
- Own and execute Quality by Design (QbD) for programs
- Leverage all The Center for Breakthrough Medicine’s process development expertise to support late-stage clinical programs
- Responsible for the development schedule adhering to appropriate level of documentation, budget, schedule, and safety commitments.
- Support the business development function in the assessment of new opportunities and provide appropriate technical input to prospective customers, including the demonstration of capability at customer visits
- Build, hire and develop a team of PhD & non-PhD staff that has the capability to design, plan, and execute experiments to develop and understand processes for production of therapeutic proteins
- Make decisions, based on the professional judgment, experience, budget, cGMP regulations, and the ethical guidelines of good business practices
- Proactively develop and sustain strong relationships with current customer accounts and contractual services suppliers to the unit
- Evaluate the functional strengths and developmental areas in the Process Development team and drive a culture of continuous improvement
- Manage team of senior managers and professionals within Process Development. Hires and develops employees within the department in support of site objectives. Assigns work, provides feedback and coaching, and takes necessary disciplinary actions
- Work with internal stakeholders in manufacturing, process development & optimization, project management etc. to facilitate successful customer management
- Independently review the design, execution, data and reporting on the development work completed within the Process Development group. Is expected to resolve (or have resolved) all technical issues
- Key input into the development of manufacturing platforms and novel technologies
- Ph.D. in biochemical engineering or biological sciences with 15-20 years of experience required
- Solid foundation in the fundamentals of biochemical engineering and cell biology
- Experience in Autologous and Allogenic Cell Therapy Processes
- Entrepreneurial experience dealing with customers in product development
- Working knowledge of cGMPs related to the production of microbial therapeutics
- 10-15 years of development and scale-up experience
- Experience with Cell separation, purification, expansion, gene transduction, formulation, and cryopreservation are essential
- Ability to work by influencing peers and their reports and gain their cooperation in dealing with multiple priorities in the delivery of projects
- Strategic leadership and conceptual thinking to ensure that a cost-effective organization is put in place and developed
- Rational persuasion particularly in the discussions with customers
- Strong people management and organizational skills; ability to prioritize and manage through complex processes/projects
- Ability to interpret and manipulate data, define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make decisions
- Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Extremely high level of initiative and tenacity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Reports to: VP, Process Development