The Center for Breakthrough Medicines is on track to be the largest single-site cell and gene therapy contract development and manufacturing organization in the world. Our comprehensive service offering accelerates speed to market through supply chain disruption mitigation strategies, end-to-end program management expertise and unique platform technology with the ability to follow a molecule from idea to commercialization. CBM’s integrated approach provides high quality and consistent end-to-end manufacturing capability including: Process and Analytical Development; Plasmid DNA production; Viral Vector Production of Lentivirus; AAV and Adenovirus; Testing and Analytics; Autologous, Allogeneic and Gene-edited Cell Therapy Bioprocessing; and Cell banking. CBM’s horizontal and vertical integration provides one source throughout a product’s life cycle.
CBM’s mission is to accelerate the delivery and affordability of lifesaving and life-changing therapies from discovery to market by offering a complete solution for the development and commercialization of cell and gene therapies.
CBM is located just outside of Philadelphia in the Heart of Cellicon Valley on The Discovery Labs campus set on 300 acres with 2.4 million square feet of life sciences lab and manufacturing space, allowing clients to scale their development and manufacturing needs without ever having to change sites, while providing employees a true community campus experience focused exclusively on life sciences.
The Discovery Labs is a Global Platform Company inclusive of CBM, The Discovery Labs Properties, UniteIQ incubator labs, and The Colony, a unique investment and resource model enabling groundbreaking therapies to be brought to life.
Are you looking for a company driven by innovation and passion for saving lives that will inspire you and empower you to challenge yourself every day?
At The Discovery Labs’ Center for Breakthrough Medicines, we are building an unprecedented enterprise that brings together the necessary capabilities, infrastructure, and world-class leaders to facilitate the development and manufacturing of cell and gene therapies from bench to bedside.
The Discovery Labs’ Center for Breakthrough Medicines aims to be the leading global provider of world-class cGMP manufacturing, turnkey laboratory solutions, critical materials, and office space that support therapeutic products and services to the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry. Our mission is to help accelerate the delivery and affordability of life-changing therapies to those who so desperately need them. The Testing and Analytical Services team within Center for Breakthrough Medicines supports the development and troubleshooting of various projects with regards to the analytical characterization of cell and gene therapy products.
The Discovery Labs’ Center for Breakthrough Medicines is looking for an Associate Process Engineer-R&D Operations to join and grow with the Testing and Analytical Services Team. We are looking for an individual that is highly motivated by our mission to join and grow with our innovative team and add value to our dynamic and impactful organization.
This position supports the Director of Operations in serving as an integrator across Testing and Analytical services to build cohesion across people, processes and systems. This role presents a unique opportunity in understanding and connecting process design to execution to industry impact across a multi-disciplinary R&D team. Building this understanding will involve analyzing and monitoring productivity, and facilitating process improvement and optimization across operational activities. Operational activities include, but are not limited to, process engineering, innovation opportunities, sample management, capacity and inventory utilization, performance metrics and adherence to quality standards. The role will also grow in to identifying and implementing automation opportunities that help solve industry challenges of increased testing capacity, better effectiveness, and improved R&D capability.
• Gather, organize, and translate key stakeholder, partner, and collaborator input towards process optimization and improvement
• Capture, analyze, and assist with interpreting data on productivity, cost efficiency and process effectiveness. Participate in and present analysis findings at cross-functional team meetings
• Build organizational knowledge, agility, and scalability in to process workflow and design
• Identify innovative equipment and technology that improve efficiency and capacity and present findings to R&D team
• Review existing workflows and review for opportunities to innovate and implement process redesign to meet key requirements across cross-functional teams for cohesion, better performance, reduced variability, and improved outcomes
• Serve as project lead to organize multiple standalone or integrated projects for Testing and Analytical Services Team
• Helps build accountability across team deliverables, and to identify and implement innovative best practices
• Helps manage and communicate impact of systems implementation and integration for core testing functions on day to day operations
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant scientific, engineering or related discipline(s)
• Demonstrated experience and capability with implementing and sustaining process improvements
• Capable of communicating complex and integrated processes in a clear, concise manner, with strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail with strong documentation and technical writing and presentation skills
• Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, start up environment with tight deadlines
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio
• Good project management, analytical, and math skills
• Proven ability to deliver projects on time, both independently and in collaboration with others
• Lean Six Sigma Green Belt preferred
• Exposure to or understanding of cGMP, ISO regulated environment is desirable