The Center for Breakthrough Medicines is on track to be the largest single-site cell and gene therapy contract development and manufacturing organization in the world. Our comprehensive service offering accelerates speed to market through supply chain disruption mitigation strategies, end-to-end program management expertise and unique platform technology with the ability to follow a molecule from idea to commercialization. CBM’s integrated approach provides high quality and consistent end-to-end manufacturing capability including: Process and Analytical Development; Plasmid DNA production; Viral Vector Production of Lentivirus; AAV and Adenovirus; Testing and Analytics; Autologous, Allogeneic and Gene-edited Cell Therapy Bioprocessing; and Cell banking. CBM’s horizontal and vertical integration provides one source throughout a product’s life cycle.
CBM’s mission is to accelerate the delivery and affordability of lifesaving and life-changing therapies from discovery to market by offering a complete solution for the development and commercialization of cell and gene therapies.
CBM is located just outside of Philadelphia in the Heart of Cellicon Valley on The Discovery Labs campus set on 300 acres with 2.4 million square feet of life sciences lab and manufacturing space, allowing clients to scale their development and manufacturing needs without ever having to change sites, while providing employees a true community campus experience focused exclusively on life sciences.
The Discovery Labs is a Global Platform Company inclusive of CBM, The Discovery Labs Properties, UniteIQ incubator labs, and The Colony, a unique investment and resource model enabling groundbreaking therapies to be brought to life.
We are seeking a proven industry expert with a well-rounded and deep understanding of accounting, finance, business operations, supply chain and manufacturing of the worlds most advanced therapeutics/biologics to become our Senior Accountant. It is a very exciting time to join our fast-growing Cell and Gene Therapy Contract Development Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), especially if you are an individual who can think boldly and thrive in an entrepreneurial setting. With the help of our Executive team, Senior Management, experienced staff and team members we will partner with some of the most cutting-edge biotechnology companies to help develop, manufacture and commercialize the world’s next-generation therapies.
The Senior Accountant will report to the Controller and will be tasked with finance and accounting oversight of manufacturing and laboratory projects, revenue and expense, resource planning systems, business intelligence and data analytics, supply chain and logistics reporting, budget and variance analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, and become a key contributor to the S&OP process. The Senior Accountant will serve as the main point-of-contact for Senior Management and the finance team as a trusted and accurate source of fiscal information as we seek to execute efficient and profitable development and manufacturing of cell and gene therapy projects.
- Corporate accounting, transaction processing, financial analysis, budgeting/forecasting, consolidated financial month-end reporting, payroll and performance monitoring, year-end close, and business decision support activities for The Center for Breakthrough Medicines and its subsidiaries.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external regulations (incl. SOX and GAAP requirements) and maintain a robust control environment.
- Follow and implement global finance procedures, process improvement initiatives, and sharing leading practices.
- Assist in the compilation and analysis of monthly actuals, accruals-deferrals, forecasts, and budgets for accuracy & proper accounting treatments, ensuring full financial compliance with internal and external control requirements. This position serves as a strategic partner to the business, bringing deep functional and industry accounting experience to help drive sustainable growth.
- Review business unit annual budgets and monthly forecasts, margin targets, and other corporate deliverables as required for reporting cycles. This includes driving clear assumptions on price, volume, COGS, supplies and consumables, fixed and variable costs, and all other key financial drivers.
- Assist in the compliance and audit initiative, provide hands-on support for the compliance teams to provide quality services to the business units to support effective decision making.
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to management for decision making purposes.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the financial reporting and business analytics platforms including but not limited to enterprise resource planning systems, business intelligence and data analytics, LIMS, QMS, supply chain and logistics reporting, budget and variance analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, and key contributor to S&OP process.
- Operational oversight to provide services at expected levels with a clear customer focus.
- Establish frequent communication with key stakeholders to ensure integration, efficiency, and effectiveness of financial compliance across all business units.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or closely related field from an accredited college or university; advanced business or accounting degree and certifications highly preferred (MBA, CPA)
- 4-6+ years’ experience in finance and/or accounting related fields
- 3-5 years in the pharmaceutical, life science, biotech, and manufacturing industries
- Commercial and supply chain experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience with manufacturing cost accounting is preferred
Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Deep knowledge and routine practice of corporate accounting, financial policy creation and implementation, compliance, audit, GAAP, SOX, and operations in pharma, biotech and/or cell and gene therapy
- Successful track record of driving profitability within a matrix organization and building strong partnerships with other organizations including R&D, Manufacturing and Senior Management Team
- Ability to develop and maintain regular financial reports with the ability to modify or create reporting process to ensure efficient operations and timely reporting
- Current with relevant financial, business, scientific and medical landscape in support of The Center for Breakthrough Medicines strategy and profitability
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills; demonstrated leadership abilities, and the ability to work in team environments
- Experience working with ERP systems, such as SAP and Microsoft environments
- Computer Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Access) and shared folders
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless results
- Independent, self-starter, highly motivated